Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Long Time Disdain


If you know anything about my sports opinions, you probably know about my disdain for Michael Vick. It all started when Vick was introduced to the league. The media (another source of repugnance for me) immediately crowned him as the revolution of the quarterback position. They touted his ability to scramble as an "X" factor that would become a juggernaut for opposing defenses. I disagreed. I realized early on that if you look beyond his running ability as a QB, he he was mediocre at best as an NFL QB. Nevertheless, the media continued to pump him up. And, as a result, the NFL sold Vick jerseys and ratings for Falcons games. And, Vick managed a trio of All-Star appearances.

So, basically, Vick has thrived based on the attention that the media chooses to pay to obscure "records" like when he and RB Jerious Norwood both ran for over 100 yards in Week 4 of the 2006 season. Is that really a big deal? Does this not indicate that maybe your receivers are not getting open? Or, maybe your quarterback can't find the open receivers? I have an idea, how about we line LaDanian Tomlinson up under center? I am willing to bet he can have just as good of a game. Hell, why don't they just run Arkansas' Darren McFadden/wildcat offense? Do you want to know why this wouldn't work? It's because this is the National Football League. And, NFL coaches are not successful if they can't handle gimmick players making gimmick plays. That's right, I said it: Vick is a gimmick player. Sure, he is one hellacious fast QB, but that is all he is. He does not have the ability to be a successful QB in the NFL without the media there to blow the proverbial smoke up the third points of contact of ESPN viewers.


So, forgive me if I am relieved to see him become exposed as the thug he has always been. I am all for an underprivilaged kid "making it", but it shouldn't be at the cost of the integrity of the NFL. Vick is a criminal and has no place in a professional position of any sort. I will allow justice and due process to take its course, but I cannot promise I won't be cheering silently for the feds to throw the book at him better than Vick has been able to throw to his receivers.

1 comment:

Vigilante said...

BTW, a very attractive site! Congratulations!